Less pieces, more style.
We’ve all experienced this moment: you open your closet, take a look at your options, and declare that you have absolutely nothing to wear, even though dozens of impulse purchases and impractical pieces are staring back at you. If you’re tired of digging through the mess to find a decent outfit, maybe it’s time to build a capsule wardrobe. This buzz term essentially means a curated collection of clothing staples that can be put together in countless combinations with very little effort. Sounds like something you’re interested in? Read on for a starter guide on the items to incorporate.
- White button up blouse: easily pairs with casual jeans and formal skirts
- Chambray shirt: for everyday, date night, the office, etc…
- T-shirts in white, black, and grey: a staple basic for every wardrobe
- Tank tops in white, black, and grey: great for under cardigans and blazers
- Classic striped shirt: something no woman should be without
- At least one cardigan: because they go with everything
- Blazer: chose one that’s versatile enough to fit in at the office yet still goes with everyday wear
- A killer leather jacket: for the motorcycle chick in all of us
- Trench coat: what piece is more iconic?
- Denim jeans: skinny, straight leg, wide leg - whatever fits your personal style
- Trouser Pants: for the office
- Black skirt: choose a length that’s appropriate at work but fun enough for drinks after
- Little black dress: a piece that needs no explanation
- Flats: a classic case of comfort meets style
- Heels: keep the height realistic; of course, if you’re happy rocking stilettos, go for it!
- Walking shoes: for running errands and staying fit
Keep in mind that this list is by no means complete. Your capsule wardrobe will vary based on your lifestyle. The goal is to keep it simple, stylish, and steady - when a new piece comes in, something goes out. By having a few key pieces to mix and match, you can become more creative in your outfit choices and leave the “nothing to wear” days behind!